Saturday, June 12, 2010

New Stuff Reviewed: Jonah Hex #56, plus Rawhide Kid - The Sensational Seven

As some of you already know, I don't read much in the way of new comics lately. However, today when I made the rounds at my local comics shops, I picked up a couple.

First off, I picked up the latest issue of Jonah Hex. I had had this comic in my monthly pull, back before I lost my job 16 months ago (I've finally reentered the workforce and have been back to work for almost a month) and was sad to drop it. I thought today was as good a day as any to re-acquaint myself with Mr. Hex.

Of course, this month's issue proudly announces that Jonah Hex is "Now A Major Motion Picture", came sealed in a polybag with a miniature movie poster and contains two short Jonah Hex stories and a four page interview with movie director Jimmy Hayward and comics writing team Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti (Who I am glad to see have stuck around) .

The cover is a nice piece by Darwyn Cooke. My wife and I chuckled as we observed that Warner Bros. can cast Josh Brolin if they like, but all the DC artists have cast a 70's Clint Eastwood since this series relaunched nearly five years ago.



Shortly after I picked up my Jonah Hex, I looked up to see a brand new Rawhide Kid sitting proudly on the shelf. Clearly, the good folks at Marvel were not going to pass up the potential Western market created by the release of a Jonah Hex movie and have swooped in (in true Marvel fashion) for the kill.



Now I don't know about y'all, but for years I've daydreamed of how great it would be if either DC or Marvel finally got it into their heads to do a full-out "Magnificent Seven"-style story featuring their stable of Western heroes. And this mini-series promises to deliver just that. I can't say as how I ever pictured that the posse of seven gunslingers would be recruited by Marvel's newly gay version of Rawhide.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti gay or anything. I just never, in all my years of reading Rawhide Kid, would have pictured a scene like this one where he's a-doin' Annie Oakley's hair:



He's still just as tough and just a quick on the draw, only now he's a little more "Queer Eye for the Cow Guy".

Anyway, the plotline centers around an old enemy with his own private army having kidnapped Wyatt and Morgan Earp. RK and Annie decide to round up some help and go rescue the Earps.

There's also a cameo by a new, scary version of the old West Ghost Rider.

I don't know how this will pan out, but I was fairly entertained and look forward to part two.

5 comments:

  1. No question: If that Rawhide Kid had walked into a bar in Deadwood, the piano player would have stopped playing, all conversation would have stopped, and all heads would turn. At the first snicker, hilarity would have exploded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Zimmerman's 1st Rawhide Kid miniseries a few years ago. Worst. Western. Ever.

    The mistake that Zimmerman & Quesada made and continue to perpetuate is transforming Johnny Bart, the Rawhide Kid, into a homosexual cowboy. This just doesn't jibe with any of the Kid's earlier series, and that includes John Ostrander's awesome Blaze of Glory mini several years back.

    There's an old expression. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Zimmerman did, Quesada approved it, and now we're supposed to accept it as gospel? I don't think so.

    OBTW, I plan on seeing "Jonah Hex" at the multiplex next weekend. The commercials I've seen only reinforce my intention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gentlemen: Let me cut right to the heart of this matter. IS the Rawhide Kid gay? Well, frankly, I have no way to tell if the Rawhide kid was previously gay. Like most western characters of the 50's and 60's, he was fairly Asexual.

    What I can say is this. Whether or not the Rawhide Kid previously preferred men as love interests or sexual partners, he was never before portrayed as a flaming queen. And I think that's what makes it feel all wrong. It's one thing if the Kid is gay,it's another if the Kid is made gay just to be played for laughs. It kinda undercuts the feel of what had previously been an enjoyable character in an enjoyable series. Apart from Kid Colt, The Rawhide Kid was Marvel's flagship western title and it's a shame to see it reduced to a farce.

    'nuff said.

    Hobbyfan: I'm feeling a little leery of the new Hex movie. Just looks like it could go all "Constantine" on us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always hoped that Marvel would do a Magnificent Seven version of their western heroes too -- so much so that I actually had veteran artist Val Semeiks draw my dream lineup of such a title:

    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=658409&GSub=105717

    ReplyDelete